Fire Sprinklers are a Good Idea
Not Just a Good Idea, the Best Idea
- Most fatal home fires happen at night while people are sleeping.
- The very young, older adults and people with disabilities are at the greatest risk.
- Fires are fast. They can become deadly in less than 3 minutes.
- New houses burn just as often as old houses and are more deadly because of modern furnishing, laminates and contents made of hydro carbons and resins.
- Not only do sprinklers save lives, they save money. You may receive a discount on your homeowners insurance and if you do have a fire, sprinklers can reduce the cost of damage by hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- Fire sprinklers are green. They reduce water usage, water runoff, toxins released by fire and building materials, furnishings and contents that would otherwise go to a land fill.
See a side-by-demonstration of a room fire with and without sprinklers. Watch the video.
Some people are at greater risk from home fires. Find out more here.
There are many organizations dedicated to fire safety that produce very informative materials. See some of them here.