People at High Risk From Fire
Most Fire Deaths Occur in Homes
- Fires move very fast, putting everyone at risk but some are at higher risk.
- Most fatal fires happen at night when people are asleep.
- Every home should have working smoke alarms but they can only warn you about smoke in your home. They cannot put out the fire.
- Not everyone will wake up to an alarm. People with impaired hearing won’t hear them and children often sleep through them.
- Fires can become deadly in less than 3 minutes, so older adults and the mobility impaired may not be able to escape the poisonous fumes, deadly smoke and searing heat in time.
- Fire sprinklers are the best protection for the ones you love.