Retrofitting a Home
All Homes Can Be Retrofit
- The best time to get sprinklers is when you are building, but all homes can be retrofitted.
- Some homes may present challenges such as the water supply, the age of the home and how it was built.
- If you are planning a large renovation, talk to your builder or architect about adding sprinklers.
- Otherwise, talk directly to a sprinkler contractor who has experience with home fire sprinklers.
- Fire sprinklers are not a do-it-yourself project. They have to be carefully designed and installed.
- All home fire sprinklers follow the NFPA 13D standard. Your contractor will know what that means.
- While all homes can be retrofitted, some are easier than others.
- A good contractor can be creative about placing pipes in closets or using flexible tubing to minimize the number of walls that need to be opened.